Surveys

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Vyshhorodok Old Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Vyshhorodok Old Jewish Cemetery
Perimeter map :
Vyshhorodok Old Jewish Cemetery
Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Ternopyl
District:
Lanivtsi
Settlement:
Vyshhorodok
Site Address:
The cemetery is located opposite to the house at 21, Shevchenka Street.
GPS coordinates:
49.76592, 25.97230
Perimeter length:
495 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing. Presumably, the north-eastern part of the site is overbuilt with a ruined barn.
Number of existing gravestones:
15
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1736 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of Newest Tombstone:
1810 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence:
High
Land Ownership:
Municipality/Property of local community
Specific Threats:
The cemetery site is used for cattle grazing and pig-breeding.
Drone surveys:
Yes

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the dates on preserved gravestones, it can be assumed that the cemetery already existed in the first part of the 18th century.
In 1847, 1018 Jews were inhabitants of Vyshhorodok. In 1863, several synagogues operated. The Jews of Vyshhorodok were followers of Trysk Hasidism. The first Zionist organization was established in the 1910s. In December 1917, a pogrom happened in the town. Many Jews fled during the WWI and returned to Vyshhorodok after the end of the war. In the 1920s, four synagogues operated. In 1921, the Jewish population declined to 944 (96,7% of the total population). In the 1920-30s, Meir Frenkel served as a rabbi. In the 1920s, a Tarbut school functioned in the town. In the 1920-30s, the Jewish parties and organizations operated. The Jewish Youth movements were represented by Ha-Shomer Ha-Tzair, Ha-Halutz and Beitar. Ha-Halutz assisted its participants to immigrate to Mandatory Palestine. On March 16, 1942, the Jews of Vyshhorodok were isolated in the Vyshnivets ghetto. On August 11, 1942, all the prisoners were executed during the ghetto liquidation.