Shums'k New Jewish Cemetery
Drone survey :
Historical map and perimeter :
The exact period of the New cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Presumably, it was established in early or mid-19th century. According to epighraphic data, the cemetery already existed in 1865. It appears on Russian maps of the 1880s. The preserved territory seems to be smaller than it is shown on the maps of 1880s and 1930.s Most probably, a large part of the cemetery to the east from the preserved plot was demolished and overbuilt.
The first Jews settled in Shums’k in the first half of the 18th century. In 1745, local Jews built a beit-midrash, bath, and stores for lease. The Great Synagogue of Shums’k was constructed in 1781. The Jews of Shumsk were mostly engaged in the grain trade and tailoring. In 1897, the Jewish population stood at 1,962 (86,8% of the total population). Five synagogues existed in the town at the end of the 19th century. The majority of the local Jews were the followers of the Olyka and Trisk Hasidism. The Hebrew school of the Beitar network was opened after the Revolution of 1917. The number of Jewish residents of Shumsk declined to 1,717 (73,2% of the total population) by 1921. The Zionist organizations such as “Ha-Halutz”, “Beitar” and “Revisionitim” were active in the interwar period. On July 10, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied the town, and Ukrainians started a pogrom. In March 1942, a ghetto was established. On August 18, 1942, 1,792 Jews were executed. In September 1942, the last Jews in the ghetto were murdered. Only 15 Jews of Shumsk survived the war.