Surveys

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Bolhrad Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Odessa
District:
Bolhrad
Settlement:
Bolhrad
Site Address:
Take the exit towards Bolhrad on the highway, moving two kilometres in the direction of the village Oksamytne. The cemetery will be on the left.
GPS coordinates:
45.65509, 28.62832
Perimeter length:
455 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is well-kept.
Number of existing gravestones:
Around 800
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1892 (earliest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of Newest Tombstone:
2015
Urgency of erecting a fence:
High
Land Ownership:
Property of Municipality
Preserved Construction on Site:
There is a mass grave from the Holocaust period on the cemetery, located near the children's section of the mass grave. There are also remains of a beit-tahara on the cemetery site.
Mass Graves on Site:
Yes
Drone surveys:
Yes

The cemetery of Bolhrad was founded no later than the second half of the 19th century. It appears on Russian maps published in 1923 with data from the 1870s. The cemetery is operational today.

It is known that the Jews were subjected to efforts of expulsion from Bolhrad town under Ottoman rule from 1856 to 1878. In the second half of the 19th century, the Jewish community had a cemetery and a Talmud Tora. In 1897, 1,196 Jews (10% of the total population) resided in Bolhrad. In 1903, the Birkut Holim society began functioning, as did a Jewish library in 1904. By 1910, three synagogues were operating in the town. From 1918 to 1920, self-defence detachments were created. The Jewish community provided guns for the self-defence units active in Tarutino, a village north-east of Bolhrad. From 1920 to the 1930s, a Hebrew school and separate departments of Jewish parties and movements were operating. In 1930, the Jewish population had increased to 1,222 individuals. Romanian forces occupied Bolhrad on July 20, 1941. During the first days of occupation, 400 Jews were murdered. On September 2, 1941, nearly 140 men were shot and 363 women and children were interned in the camp. In October 1941, they were deported to Transnistria. A monument to the victims of the Holocaust, including a Hebrew epigraph, was erected in 1959.

3D model allows us to get topographical information from the site with high accuracy later we use this model to produce a proposed design with fence that could be constructed for the site preservation.

You can get a link to download 3D model by request if you email us.