Surveys

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Ananyiv New Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Odessa
District:
Ananyiv
Settlement:
Ananyiv
Site Address:
Adjacent to 76, Lesnaya Street
GPS coordinates:
47.70788, 29.96759
Perimeter length:
196 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
The site is surrounded by an old wooden fence of 1.5 metres in height.
General Site Condition:
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery. The territory is overgrown and littered in some parts. The wooden fence does not sufficiently protect the site.
Number of existing gravestones:
Around 800
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1928
Date of Newest Tombstone:
2016
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Medium. The existing fence requires replacement.
Land Ownership:
Property of Municipality
Preserved Construction on Site:
There are no structures on the cemetery.
Drone surveys:
Yes

The cemetery was founded after WWII. Some earlier tombstones are brought from the Old cemetery.

Jews settled in Ananyiv in the first part of the 19th century. At the same time, the community opened a synagogue and a cemetery. From 1837, a hevra kadisha was operating. In 1856, 532 Jews lived in the town. In 1897, the Jewish population had reached 3,257 (20% of the total population). In the late 19th century, a Jewish government vocational school as well as a Jewish private vocational school for women were functioning. In the early 20th century, the Jewish community had five synagogues and two Jewish cemeteries. The first and most severe pogrom among a series of violent actions against the Jews of Ananyiv took place on April 27, 1881: 175 houses of the Jewish community were damaged. Pogroms also took place in 1905 and 1919, organised by parts of the Directory of the Ukrainian National Republic. The Jewish population in 1910 numbered 4,817 (22% of the total population). In 1926, there were 3,516 Jews living in the town (19% of the total population). At the beginning of WWII, the Jewish population numbered 1,779 (31% of the total population). In the early 1920s, a Jewish self-defence detachment with 300 members was created, 220 of whom died in battle with Tyutyunnik’s gang. In the 1930s, several synagogues existed. In 1934, the operating Jewish school was closed. On August 28, 1941, after the Nazi occupation, 300 Jews were shot. On September 3, 1941, the ghetto in Ananyiv was created. In October 1941, deportations to Transnistria began. During the occupation period from 1941 to 1944, approximately 3,700 Jews were murdered. In June 1995, a memorial sign was erected on the execution site. In 1998, about 30 Jews were residing in Ananyiv.

3D model allows us to get topographical information from the site with high accuracy later we use this model to produce a proposed design with fence that could be constructed for the site preservation.
You can get a link to download 3D model by request if you email us.