Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Zhydachiv Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Zhydachiv Jewish Cemetery

Zhydachiv Jewish Cemetery

Historical map and perimeter :
Zhydachiv Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Zhydachiv
Settlement:
Zhydachiv
Site Address:
2, Zagirna Street. The cemetery is located adjacent to 2, Zagirna Street. Enter the site through the path between garages.
GPS coordinates:
49.39429,24.13417
Perimeter length:
248 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
Type of the fence. The cemetery is surrounded by a metal fence.
General Site Condition:
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery. The cemetery site is maintained by Meylekh Sheykhet.
Number of existing gravestones:
About 30
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Fence is not needed (already fenced)
Land Ownership:
Property of Municipality
Preserved Construction on Site:
There are two ohels on the cemetery site.
Drone surveys:
Yes

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is not known, but it was marked on a map from the mid-19th century. It can be supposed that the cemetery was partly demolished after WWII. The first records about the Jewish population relate to the mid-15th century. By 1538, nine Jewish families resided in Zhydachiv. In the 18th century, the Jewish community became independent. It already had a wooden synagogue and a cemetery. In the early 19th century, a Hasidic dynasty was founded in Zhydachiv. By 1880, the Jewish population numbered 700 (28.8% of the total population) and grew to 892 (23% of the total population) in 1910. Since the foundation of “Tikvat Tzion” in 1907, the Zionist movement was active in Zhydachiv. The movement was widespread in the interwar period. In 1921, the Jewish population declined to 823 (21.5% of the total population). The Wehrmacht troops occupied Zhydachiv on July 3, 1941. Some Jews were sent to the Belzec death camp on September 5, 1941. By the late September 1942, the last remaining Jews were deported to the Stryy ghetto.