Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Zhuravno Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Zhuravno Jewish Cemetery

Historical map and perimeter :
Zhuravno Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Zhydachiv
Settlement:
Zhuravno
Site Address:
25, Street Palamara. The cemetery is located adjacent to 25, Palamara Street.
GPS coordinates:
49.25675,24.28939
Perimeter length:
271 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing.
Number of existing gravestones:
20
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1895
Date of Newest Tombstone:
1925
Urgency of erecting a fence:
High
Traces of Vandalism:
Yes
Land Ownership:
Property of Municipality
Drone surveys:
Yes

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it was marked on a map of 1848. It can be supposed that it was partly demolished after WWII. The Jewish community of Zhuravno was established in the 18th century. In 1765, 566 Jews lived in the town. From that time, Rabbi Moshe-Shaul (died in 1759) fulfilled the duties of the rabbi. The Jews of Zhuravno were involved in bartending, loaning and trade. In 1908, a Heder Metukan was opened by Rabbi Pinchas Horowitz. By 1910, four synagogues and a Jewish cemetery existed. The Jewish population reached a peak of 2197 (69% of the total population) in 1880, but it was reducing year by year until it dropped to 865 (44.9% of the total population) in 1921. Around 1000 Jews resided in Zhuravno in 1931. The Wehrmacht troops occupied the town on July 3, 1941. On September 5, 1942, a few hundreds of Jews were deported to the Belzec extermination camp. In September 1942, a ghetto was established. From February 4, 1943, till June 5, 1943, sporadical murders of the Jewish population of Zhuravno happened.

3D model allows us to get topographical information from the site with high accuracy later we use this model to produce a proposed design with fence that could be constructed for the site preservation.
You can get a link to download 3D model by request if you email us.