Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Toporiv New Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Toporiv New Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Toporiv New Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Busk
Settlement:
Toporiv
Site Address:
The cemetery is on the right side of the road, leaving the village to the north in the direction of Zabolot direction. It is opposite the abandoned mill, 100 metres southeast from the Christian cemetery.
GPS coordinates:
50.11775, 24.71994
Perimeter length:
460 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
Yes
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
Number of existing gravestones:
No tombstones preserved
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Low
Land Ownership:
Other
Drone surveys:
Yes

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is not available, but it was marked on a map from the 1880s and 1939. It can be supposed that it was demolished after WWII. Jews began settling in Toporiv from its foundation in 1603. Presumably, the synagogue was built in the first half of the 17th century, permitted by an issued decree. The Jewish community of Toporiv received extensive privileges from the early settlement, which contributed its prosperity until the fire of 1884. The Jewish population reached 1,133 (33% of the total population) by 1880. The Hasidic streams of Belz, Olesk, Stratyn and Husiatyn were present in Toporiv. But after the second fire in 1904, many Jewish families became impoverished and began leaving the town. The population decrease continued in WWI, after which the Jewish population had decreased to 689 (20% of the total population) by 1921. During the interwar period, the economic condition did not improve. When the Soviet regime occupied the town in 1939, all Jews who had privately-owned businesses were forced to close them. 180 Jews were murdered three days after the outbreak of WWII. Two other actions, in which nearly 220 Jews were executed, took place in September 1941 and March 1942. The 700 surviving Jews were expelled to the Brody ghetto in November 1942.