Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Sudova Vyshnya Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Sudova Vyshnya Jewish Cemetery
Sudova Vyshnya Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Sudova Vyshnya Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Mostyska
Settlement:
Sudova Vyshnya
Site Address:
10, Stusa Street.
GPS coordinates:
49.78728, 23.38136
Perimeter length:
318 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
Yes. There is an agricultural warehouse situated on the cemetery's former territory.
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
Number of existing gravestones:
No tombstones preserved
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Fence is not needed (overbuilt)
Land Ownership:
Property of Municipality
Drone surveys:
Yes

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on maps from the 1850s, 1880s and 1939. It can be supposed that it was demolished during or after WWII and later built over. Information about the first Jews of the Sudova Vyshnya community dates back to the mid-16th century. In 1765, 120 Jews were living in the town. By the late 18th century, the Jewish community had become independent. At that time it was maintaining a synagogue and a cemetery. By 1890, the Jewish population numbered 1,309 (30% of the total population). The Zionist movement was active through the association “Zion” in 1902. In three years, a library and a reading hall were operating. The Jewish population grew to 1,164 (24% of the total population) in 1910. In the interwar period, many Zionist organisations like “Beitar,” “Hokma,” and others were active. In 1931, 900 Jews resided in Sudova Vyshnya. During 1932-34, a Hebrew Tarbut school was operating. The town of Sudova Vyshnya was occupied on June 27, 1941. On April 15, 1942, 450 Jews were expelled to Janowska concentration camp. The remaining Jewish population were deported to the extermination camp Belzec or to the Yavoriv ghetto in October and December 1942.