Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Sokolivka Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Sokolivka Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Sokolivka Jewish Cemetery
Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Busk
Settlement:
Sokolivka
Site Address:
To reach the cemetery, proceed to the western border of the Christian cemetery on the western outskirt of Sokolivka. Turn left onto a dirt road. Proceed for about 220 metres. Turn right, and proceed for about 110 metres. The cemetery is located on the left of the road.
GPS coordinates:
50.03208,24.84095
Perimeter length:
290 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
Yes
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over. The cemetery site is a cultivated land now.
Number of existing gravestones:
There is a fragment of a gravestone in the private yard of the neighbouring house of Anna Braslavs'ka.
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1859 (ony one found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence:
High
Land Ownership:
Municipality/Property of local community
Drone surveys:
Yes

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was not marked on old maps. The oldest preserved gravestone relates to the mid-19th century. Jews are first mentioned in 1629. The local Jewish community was subordinated to Brody Kehila, but in the first half of the 18th century, it became independent. In 1880, 983 Jews resided in the village (45,3% of the total population). Through the internal and external migration in the late 19th century, the Jewish population reduced to 756 (28,78% of the total population) by 1900. The declination of the Jewish population kept on in the period of the WWI and fell to 460 (17,9% of the total population) in 1921. The Zionist organisations became active in the period after WWI. In July 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Sokolivka. In November 1942, Jews were deported to the ghettos of Zloczow and Brody.