Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Shchyrets' Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Shchyrets' Jewish Cemetery

Shchyrets' Jewish Cemetery

Historical map and perimeter :
Shchyrets' Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Pustomyty
Settlement:
Shchyrets'
Site Address:
To reach the cemetery, proceed for about 200 metres in the eastern direction from the train station. Turn right into a road along Shchyrka River. Proceed for about 660 metres. The cemetery is located on the right of the road.
GPS coordinates:
49.64985,23.86727
Perimeter length:
295 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is severely overgrown. It clearing and fencing.
Number of existing gravestones:
100
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1920 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of Newest Tombstone:
1934 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence:
High
Land Ownership:
Property of Municipality
Drone surveys:
Yes

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on a map from the 1880s. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII. The earliest records of the Jewish life of Shchyrets’ relates to 1629. In the early 18th century, the local Jewish community was subordinated to the Komarno Kehilla. In 1770, Leibush bar Efraim served as a rabbi in Shchyrets’. His son Rabbi Izhak carried out his duties after his death. In 1880, the Jewish population reached 1,385 (78,9% of the total population). In the late 19th century, the head of the Jewish community also served as a mayor of the town. In the early 20th century, the Zionists movement was active. In 1911, Hebrew school for boys and girls was opened by Zionists. In 1910, the Jewish population stood up in 1,264 (78,3% of the total population) and reduced to 712 (76% of the total population) by 1921. In the interwar period, the Jewish Joint Distribution Committee supported the community. The Zionist organizations like “Ahva”, “Sheher” and “Beitar” were established. In 1931, 850 Jews resided in the town. The Wehrmacht troops occupied Shchyrets’ in June 1941. In August and November 1942, more than 1,000 Jews were deported to the Bibrka ghetto and the Belzec death camp.

3D model allows us to get topographical information from the site with high accuracy later we use this model to produce a proposed design with fence that could be constructed for the site preservation.
You can get a link to download 3D model by request if you email us.