Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Shchurovychi Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Shchurovychi Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Shchurovychi Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
Settlement:
Shchurovychi
Site Address:
To reach the cemetery, proceed along Tsentral'na Street in the southern direction. Turn right onto the dirt road at the crossroads adjacent to the house at 35, Tsentral'na Street. Proceed for about 350 metres. Turn right to the forest path. Walk for about 140 metres along the path. The cemetery is located in the woods on the right of the path.
GPS coordinates:
50.26679,25.01808
Perimeter length:
471 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is severely overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing.
Number of existing gravestones:
13. The gravestones are covered in moss, and moss is crumbling gravestones. There are many remnants of the gravestones on the site.
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1830
Date of Newest Tombstone:
1896
Urgency of erecting a fence:
High
Land Ownership:
State
Drone surveys:
Yes

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it appears on the Austro-Hungarian maps of the 1880s, and the oldest preserved gravestones relate to the end of the 19th century. Jews are first mentioned in 1570. In 1643, about 80 Jews lived in Shchurovychi. In the late 18th century, the Jewish community emerged. The Jews were engaged in land leasing, tavern keeping and alcohol trading. The Belz, Olesk and Husyatyn-Ruzhin Hasidic dynasties predominated in the town. The Jewish population reached 752 (44.1% of the total population) in 1880. During an 1884 fire, a synagogue was burnt, and later it was rebuilt. In 1900, the Jewish population was 603 (35,7% of the total population). In the pre-war period, the Zionist organizations were active. In 1921, the Jewish population declined to 100 (0,8% of the total population). In 1922, branch offices of the Zionist organizations Ahva and Gordonia were established. In autumn 1942, the local Jews were deported to Sokal and Brody.