Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Sambir New Jewish Сemetery

Drone survey :
Sambir New Jewish Сemetery
Historical map and perimeter :

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Sambir
Settlement:
Sambir
Site Address:
The cemetery is located opposite the house at 1, Koroleva Street.
GPS coordinates:
49.51222,23.19446
Perimeter length:
863 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is severely overgrown. It requires clearing. The cemetery is surrounded by fences of adjacent private houses.
Number of existing gravestones:
20
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1894
Date of Newest Tombstone:
1931
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Medium
Land Ownership:
Property of Municipality
Drone surveys:
Yes

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on a map of the 19th century. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII and demolished during the Soviet era. The Jews resided in Sambir since 1447. In the 17th century, synagogues and a Jewish cemetery operated. In 1764, 513 Jews lived in Sambir. In the early 19th century, a few Karaites lived in Sambir. In the 19th century, two Hasidic courts sat in Sambir. The Jewish population reached 4,427 (33,1% of the total population) in 1880. In 1891, a Jewish commercial school was opened. It was the only educational institution of its kind in Galicia, which became entitled as a government institution. Since 1931, it turned to a gymnasium. By 1900, a Jewish population grew to 4,900 (28.8% of the total population) and kept on growing till 1931 when it numbered 6,275. In the early 20th century, Jews played a significant role in public and political life. In 1910, more than half of the members of the city council were Jews. During the WWI, Jewish refugees fled to Sambir from the surrounding towns. In the afterwar period, the Joint Distribution Committee supported the Jewish community of Sambir. In the interwar period, the orphanages and other organizations (e.g. Samopomoc (Self-Help)) were active. On June 29, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied Sambir. On July 1, 1941, 50 Jews were slaughtered during the pogrom. 3,650 Jews of Sambir and surrounding villages were imprisoned in a ghetto. On August 4, 1942, about 6,000 Jews were deported to the Belzec extermination camp. In August of 1942, about 600 Jews were sent to the Yanovsky camp. On February 13, 1943, about 500 Jews were murdered on the Jewish cemetery. On June 5–10, 1943, the ghetto was liquidated. After the end of WWII, roughly 150 Jews returned to Sambir. In 2001, a memorial sign was erected at the site of the execution of Jews at the old Jewish cemetery.

3D model allows us to get topographical information from the site with high accuracy later we use this model to produce a proposed design with fence that could be constructed for the site preservation.
You can get a link to download 3D model by request if you email us.