Rozdil Jewish Cemetery
Drone survey :
Historical map and perimeter :
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was operating in the middle of the 18th century. It was marked on a map from 1850. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII.
From the early 17th century, when a Jewish community was founded in Rozdil, a wooden synagogue was built, which burnt down in 1907. In 1628, a heder was operating. In 1765, 639 Jews resided in Rozdil. In the first part of the 19th century, a Hasidic court was founded by Yehuda-Zvi Eichenstein (1791–1847). In 1886, a Hasidic court was also founded by Pinhos-Haim Taub (1867–1935). In 1880, the Jewish population rose to 2,465 (54% of the total population). It decreased slightly to 2,262 (49% of the total population) in 1900, and declined to 1,725 (45% of the total population) in 1921. In the interwar period the Jewish population was engaged in commerce and the economy was in crisis. A new synagogue had been built by 1927. The Jewish population numbered 1,902 in 1931. In June 1941, Nazi forces occupied Rozdil. In early September 1942, nearly 1,000 Jews were deported to the extermination camp Belzec. About 150 Jews were murdered on February 4, 1943.