Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Radekhiv Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Radekhiv Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Radekhiv Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Radekhiv
Settlement:
Radekhiv
Site Address:
39, Lesi Ukrainki Street.
GPS coordinates:
50.28013, 24.64594
Perimeter length:
520 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
Yes
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
Number of existing gravestones:
No tombstones preserved
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Fence is not needed (overbuilt)
Land Ownership:
Private
Drone surveys:
Yes

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on a map from the mid-19th century. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII and was demolished and built over afterwards. The Jews were present in Radekhiv from the mid-18th century onwards. In 1765, 206 Jews were living here. In the late 18th century, the Jewish community built a synagogue. In 1880, the Jewish population numbered 799 (23% of the total population), which had increased to 1,867 people (49% of the total population) by 1890. In the late 19th century, a Hasidic court, founded by Naftali-Zvi Rubin (1848–1900), had its seat in Radekhiv. In the early 20th century, several synagogues were operational. The streams of Belz and Gusiatin Hasidim were dominant. In 1900, the Jewish population numbered 1,737 (44% of the total population). In 1918, the Zionist association “Kadima” was established, which opened a library and a drama club. By 1921, the Jewish population had grown to 1,977 (45% of the total population). In the early 1920s, a Hebrew Tarbut school was active. In 1941, ca. 2,100 Jews were living in the town. Radekhiv was occupied by the Nazis on June 24, 1941. In late June 1941, about 500 Jews moved to Radekhiv from Kholoev (presently known as Nodal), because of its bombing. In April and September 1942, Jews from the neighbouring villages were deported to Radekhiv. On September 15, 1942, around 1,400 Jews were deported to the extermination camp Belzec.