Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Oles'ko Old Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Oles'ko Old Jewish Cemetery
Oles'ko Old Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Oles'ko Old Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Busk
Settlement:
Oles'ko
Site Address:
9 Trusha Street. The cemetery is located adjacent to the house at 9, Trusha Street.
GPS coordinates:
49.96392,24.89154
Perimeter length:
107 meters
Is the cemetery demolished:
Yes
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery. A private house is built over the western part of the cemetery site. The eastern part of the site is a wasteland now.
Number of existing gravestones:
No tombstones preserved
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Fence is not needed (overbuilt)
Land Ownership:
Private
Preserved Construction on Site:
There are the ruins of the synagogue built in 1844 adjacent to the cemetery site.
Drone surveys:
Yes

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it appears on Polish maps of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG) of 1939. The Jews of Oles’ko are first mentioned in the 16th century. Many Oles’ko Jews perished during the Tatar raid in 1579. In 1608, a synagogue operated. Hanoch-Genneh Meyer (1800–1884) founded the Oles’k Hasidic dynasty in the middle of the 18th century. In 1857, 461 Jews lived in Oles’ko (17.7% of the total population). The Jewish population increased to 773 (23.4% of the total population) in 1890. The Hasidic court of Hanoch-Genekh Vagshal sat in the early 20th century. The peak of the Jewish population was 832 (20,5% of the total population) in 1910. In the interwar period, it stood up 636 (17.4%) in 1921 and 738 in 1935. During the German occupation, in January 1942, 472 Jews were deported to the Belzec death camp. On March 6, 1943, a Jewish labour camp for about 150 people was established. It was liquidated in June 1943.