Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Oles'ko New Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Oles'ko New Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Oles'ko New Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Busk
Settlement:
Oles'ko
Site Address:
To reach the cemetery, proceed for about 980 metres in the western direction from the Saint Nicholas statue (Statuya Mykolaya Chudotvortsya). The cemetery is located on the right of the road.
GPS coordinates:
49.96492,24.87565
Perimeter length:
371 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
Type of the fence. The cemetery is surrounded by a metal fence of 1.5 metres height.
General Site Condition:
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery. The territory is slightly overgrown. The fence is in good condition. Presumably, the site was bought and fenced by the Jewish community.
Number of existing gravestones:
2 (and about 20 fragments)
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1794 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Fence is not needed (already fenced)
Land Ownership:
Private
Preserved Construction on Site:
There is an ohel of Chanoch Dov (died in 1884) on the site.
Drone surveys:
Yes

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it was marked on Polish maps of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG) of the 1930s. The oldest preserved gravestone relates to the end of the 18th century. The Jews of Oles’ko are first mentioned in the 16th century. Many Oles’ko Jews perished during the Tatar raid in 1579. In 1608, a synagogue operated. Hanoch-Genneh Meyer (1800–1884) founded the Oles’k Hasidic dynasty in the middle of the 18th century. In 1857, 461 Jews lived in Oles’ko (17.7% of the total population). The Jewish population increased to 773 (23.4% of the total population) in 1890. The Hasidic court of Hanoch-Genekh Vagshal sat in the early 20th century. The peak of the Jewish population was 832 (20,5% of the total population) in 1910. In the interwar period, it stood up 636 (17.4%) in 1921 and 738 in 1935. During the German occupation, in January 1942, 472 Jews were deported to the Belzec death camp. On March 6, 1943, a Jewish labour camp for about 150 people was established. It was liquidated in June 1943.