Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Nemyriv Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Nemyriv Jewish Cemetery
Nemyriv Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Nemyriv Jewish Cemetery
Site Address:
22, Yavorivska Street. To the right of the house on 22, Yavorivska Street, take the road which leads to the the cemetery after 200 metres.
GPS coordinates:
50.09854, 23.43715
Perimeter length:
320 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
Type and height of existing fence:
Type of the fence. The cemetery is surrounded by an iron fence with a gate.
General Site Condition:
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
Number of existing gravestones:
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1780s (earliest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of Newest Tombstone:
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Land Ownership:
Property of Municipality
Drone surveys:

The cemetery were founded in the 16th century. It was marked on maps from the 1780s. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII. Jews were settling in the town from its foundation in 1570. The inhabitants of the town suffered from great fires of 1655 and 1834, significantly damaging the town’s infrastructure. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the main spheres of the employment of the Jews were trade, renting and craft. The construction of bathhouses increased opportunities to find a service job in spa resorts. The Jewish population reached 1,445 (55% of the total population) in 1880. During WWI, many buildings owned by Jews, as well as the ancient synagogue, were ruined. The Jewish community decreased to 1,298 (53% of the total population) by 1921. In 1941, the Jewish population grew to 2,500 because of refugees from Poland who settled here. The deportation of 1,000 Jews to the extermination camp Belzec took place in late July 1942. The 1,000 Jews that remained were expelled to the Rava-Rus’ka ghetto.