Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Lopatyn Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Lopatyn Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Lopatyn Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Radekhiv
Settlement:
Lopatyn
Site Address:
To reach the cemetery, proceed for about 100 metres from the last house on the eastern end of Brodska street. Turn left onto the forest road. Proceed for about 300 metres. Turn left onto the field road. Proceed for about 370 metres. The cemetery site is located in the fields on the left of the road.
GPS coordinates:
50.21535,24.87166
Perimeter length:
240 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
Number of existing gravestones:
No tombstones preserved
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Low
Land Ownership:
Property of Municipality
Drone surveys:
Yes

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It emerged not earlier than the 19th century. Presumably, it was demolished after WWII. The Jews first settled in the early 19th century. In 1880, 332 Jews were inhabitants of Lopatyn (14.4% of the total population). In 1890, the Jewish population reached 537 (19.8% of the total population). In the late 19th century, two synagogues of the Belz and Husiatyn Hasidism operated, and a Jewish cemetery was established. A Bikur Hoilim society and Hevra Kadisha were active. Menachem-Mendel Lashchover served as a rabbi. From the early 1910s, the Zionist organization Ha-Tikva functioned. In 1910, the Jewish population was 505 (15.3% of the total population). During WWI, the soldiers of the Russian army robbed Jews and burnt Jewish houses. In the post-war period, the economic condition declined. By 1921, it slightly dropped to 400 (12.5% of the total population). In 1922-24, a Hebrew school operated. On June 24, 1941, the German troops occupied the town. In May 1942, about 450 Jews remained in Lopatyn. On October 22, 1942, around 400 Jews were deported to the Sokal’ ghetto, and later to the Belzec death camp. On April 3, 1944, five Jews returned to Lopatyn.