Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Leshniv Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Leshniv Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Leshniv Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Brody
Settlement:
Leshniv
Site Address:
To reach the cemetery, proceed for about 160 metres in the north-western direction from the western edge of the village. The cemetery is located on the right of the road.
GPS coordinates:
50.24538,25.08054
Perimeter length:
473 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing. Locals store firewoods on the site. The telecommunication tower is located on the cemetery site.
Number of existing gravestones:
About 50. Many gravestones are dug into the ground with its front sites, and it's impossible to read the dates.
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1884 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of Newest Tombstone:
1935 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence:
High
Land Ownership:
State
Drone surveys:
Yes

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Presumably, it appears on the Austro-Hungarian maps of the 1880s. According to Pinkas haKehillot, the cemetery was operating until 1939. Jews first settled in the early 17th century. A Jewish cemetery was established from the emerge of the Jewish community. In 1880, 696 Jews lived (31.6% of the total population) in Leshniv. In the 17-18th century, the Jews were engaged mainly in crafts and trade. Yoel Halperin (from 1760), Zvi-Hirsh Ramraz (in the mid-19th century) and other rabbis served in Leshniv. In the first half of the 19th century, a synagogue was built. In 1900, the Jewish population was 513 (25.6% of the total population). The peak of the Jewish population was about 800 in 1911, and it fell to 179 (9.5% of the total population) in 1921. In summer 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Leshniv. In January 1942, 269 Jews resided in Leshniv. On November 2, 1942, a ghetto was established. On 17 April 1943, the Leshniv ghetto was liquidated, and more than 250 Jews were deported to the Brody ghetto. 19 Jews returned to Leshniv after WWII.