Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Komarno Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Komarno Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Komarno Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Horodok
Settlement:
Komarno
Site Address:
The cemetery is located opposite the Christian cemetery on Lypya Street.
GPS coordinates:
49.63236,23.69854
Perimeter length:
430 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
No
Type and height of existing fence:
Type of the fence. The cemetery is surrounded by an old metal fence, constructed by the Ohalei Tzadikim — Gader Avot union.
General Site Condition:
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery. Some parts of the cemetery are hardly overgrown. An ohel of Komarno admorim on the cemetery is an important pilgrimage site, visited often by a Hasidic groops. There is a caretaker opening the ohel and taking care of site around the ohel.
Number of existing gravestones:
No tombstones preserved. There are a some dozen fragments of broken tombstones in the bushes behind the ohel on the cemetery site. No dates are clearly seen.
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Fence is not needed
Land Ownership:
Property of Municipality
Preserved Construction on Site:
There is an ohel of Rabbi Alexander-Sender Safrin (died in 1818) and his son Rabbi Eliezer Tzvi Safrin (died in 1874).
Drone surveys:
Yes

Jewish cemetery in Komarno already existed in 1644. It is not clear, whether this cemetery was the oldest, or there was an elder one. The Jewish cemetery on that site is marked on a cadastral map of 1853. It was vandalised during WWII and ruined in 1950s. After 1991 some gravestones from this cemetery were returned to the cemetery site. In the last 20 years, the ohel of Komarno Hasidic dynasty leaders was reconstructed. Today it is an important pilgrimage site. Around 10 years ago around 50 more fragments of tombstones from this cemetery were found at the private household in the nearby Buchaly village. The Jews started to settle down in Komarno from the 1530s. In 1563, about 100 Jews were inhabitants of Komarno. By the early 17th century, the Jewish community got independence from Lwow Kehila. Construction of a stone synagogue began in 1620. By 1644, the cemetery established. Khmelnytskyi troops massacred many Jews of Komarno. In 1765, 686 Jews lived in Komarno. In 1812, the Hasidic court by Alexander-Sender Safrin (1770–1818) sat in the town. The Jewish population reached 2,084 (40.9% of the total population) in 1880. By the late 19th century, the Jewish community had a right to participate in the local elections. By 1900, the Jewish population grew to 2,507 (about 50% of the total population), in 1910 it numbered 2,716 (44.2% of the total population). The Zionists organizations were active in the pre-war period. In 1921, the Jewish population declined to 2,004 (40% of the total population) and slightly increased to 2,390 in 1931. In the 1930s, a yeshiva was opened. The Wehrmacht troops occupied Komarno for the first time in September 1939 and reoccupied it on June 30, 1941, after the units of the Red Army left the district. In July 1942, about 1,800 Jews were murdered. In November 1942, 61 Jews that escaped the deportation to the Belzec death camp were shot at the cemetery.