Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Kolomyya Old Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Kolomyya Old Jewish Cemetery
Kolomyya Old Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Kolomyya Old Jewish Cemetery
Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Ivano-Frankivsk
District:
Kolomyya
Settlement:
Kolomyya
Site Address:
The cemetery is located at 25, Antona Chekhova Street.
GPS coordinates:
48.53329, 25.04262
Perimeter length:
543 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
Yes
Type and height of existing fence:
Type of the fence. Three sides of the cemetery are surrounded by a metal fence of two metres height, and its northern side is surrounded by a stone wall.
General Site Condition:
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery. Gravestones were brought back to the cemetery and piled behind the fence. There is a public park on the unfenced cemetery site.
Number of existing gravestones:
1700. All the found Jewish gravestones from both cemeteries are stored at the site.
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1740
Date of Newest Tombstone:
1939
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Fence is not needed(fenced)
Land Ownership:
Municipality/Property of local community
Preserved Construction on Site:
Presumably, there is a closed ohel or caretaker’s house. There is a memorial wall with embedded remnants of the oldest gravestones. The Ohalei Tzadikim - Gader Avot union installed a memorial dedicated to famous rabbis buried on the site. It is dedicated to Rav Eliezer (died in 1861), Rav Hershon (died in 1862, an author of Avodat Hershoni, Rav Hilel, a son of Barukh Likhtenshtein, Rav Izhak Zeev (died in 1848), Rav Meir Simkha (died in 1845), Rav Menachem Mendel (died in 1862), Rav Mordekhai Ziskind (died in 1860) and Rav Meshulam.
Drone surveys:
Yes

The cemetery was established in 1826, but the oldest gravestone found relates to the mid-18th century. Presumably, originally it was located on the oldest demolished cemetery of Kolomyya. First, it appears on a cadastral map of 1859. In the 1860s and 1880s, it appears on 2nd and 3d military survey of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Later, it was marked on a Polish map of 1939. The cemetery was demolished in 1962.