Holohory Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Site Address:The cemetery is on the hill with power lines, in the northern part of Holohory village.
GPS coordinates:49.76277, 24.72287
Perimeter length:485 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:No
Type and height of existing fence:No fence
General Site Condition:Unfenced Jewish cemetery
Number of existing gravestones:Around 50. The gravestones are slowly sinking into the ground, and the cemetery is overgrown with grass.
Date of Oldest Tombstone:1794
Urgency of erecting a fence:Medium
Land Ownership:Municipality/Property of local community
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is not available, but it was marked on a maps from 1860s. The cemetery was operation until WWII. According to locals, it was demolished in 1960s.-1970s. Tombstones were used for construction of a sugar factory in Krasne village and a kolkhoz in Holohory. Jews were living in Holohory from 1470. In the early 17th century, a synagogue was built. In 1765, 498 Jews were residing here. The community became independent from the Lviv kehila in 1772. In the 17th and the 18th century, Jews were involved in leasing, distillation and trading. By 1880, the Jewish population numbered 1,216 (44% of the total population) and was reduced to 505 people (21% of the total population) by 1921. In 1895, a school founded with the support of Baron Hirsch was opened. The Zionist movement was active from the turn of the century. Rabbis of Holohory were, from 1910 to 1915, Mordekhai-Arieh Heber, from 1927 Shlomo Schickler, followed by Yosef-Mordekhai Bloom. During WWI, more than 100 Jews perished. In the post-war period, Joint provided assistance to the community. The Nazis occupied Holohory in late June 1941. In January 1942, a ghetto was established, in which 575 Jews were interned. In November 1942, they were deported to the ghetto in Zolochiv, where they shared the fate of the local Jews.