Surveys in Ukraine

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Dobromil Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Khyriv New Jewish Cemetery
Khyriv New Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Dobromil Jewish Cemetery
Staryi Sambir
Site Address:
To reach the cemetery, move 100 metres north from the crossroads of L. Ukrainky and M. Lysenka. The cemetery will be on the right.
GPS coordinates:
49.57541, 22.78344
Perimeter length:
654 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
Number of existing gravestones:
Around 120 tombstones in a lapidarium and less than 10 fragments of tombstones lying at the cemetery site.
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
Date of Newest Tombstone:
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Land Ownership:
State. Presumably, some private houses to the west from the memory wall are also built on the cemetery site.
Drone surveys:

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on a map from the 1850s and 1939. Presumably, the cemetery was operating in the early 20th century. It can be supposed that it was demolished during or after WWII. The Jews were first mentioned in 1570. A Jewish community, which emerged in the 16th century, was subordinated to the Peremyshlyany kehila. Agricultural trade was one of the main areas the Jews were engaged in. In 1612, the Jewish community received permission to build a synagogue. In the 1720s, Yithok Segal and his son Meir served as rabbis in Dobromil. In 1765, 1,253 Jews lived in Dobromil. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Jewish children attended German-Jewish vocational school. In the 19th century, five synagogues were operating, two of which were Hasidic. In 1860 under Austrian administration, the Jewish population declined to 850 (53% of the total population) due to taxes and lower incomes. By 1870, it had increased to 1,884 (62% of the total population) and had grown to 2,035 (63% of the total population) by 1890, when industry had developed in the town. The Jewish population reached 2,271 (63% of the total population) by 1910. Zionist organisations became active in 1908, and the association”Theodor Herzl” was established. In 1921, the Jewish population dropped to 2,119 (62% of the total population). Wehrmacht units occupied Dobromil on June 28, 1941. Around 200 Jews were burned in the synagogue, and the remaining population was murdered on July 29, 1942. From October 1941 until July 29, 1942, a ghetto was functioning. 3,000 Jews were deported to the extermination camp Belzec. After the end of the Nazis’ occupation, 25 Jews returned.

3D model allows us to get topographical information from the site with high accuracy later we use this model to produce a proposed design with fence that could be constructed for the site preservation.
You can get a link to download 3D model by request if you email us.