Chortkiv Old Jewish Cemetery
Drone survey :
Perimeter map :
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to IAJGS, the cemetery emerged in the 17th century. The cemetery was vandalised during WWII.
The Jews were known in Chortkiv since the early 17th century. 50 Jewish families suffered Khmelnytskyi massacres of 1648-1649. 746 Jews resided in Chortkiv in 1765. In the mid-18th century, the Jewish community became independent. Earlier it subordinated to the Lviv Kehilla. The local Jews were engaged in tradings and crafts. In 1860, a Hasidic court was founded by Rabbi David Moshe Friedman. The Jewish population stood at 3,106 (68,5% of the total population) in 1890. The Zionists came to the town in 1897. The Bund was active in Chortkiv in the early 20th century. In 1910, 2,907 Jews were inhabitants of Chortkiv. During WWI, 5,000 refugees flooded, 35% of whom perished after the epidemics. At the same time, the orphanage was established. The peak of the Jewish population was 5,869 (30,7% of the total population) in 1935. The commercial activity was prohibited after the Soviet annexation. Many young Jews were drafted into the Soviet army. On June 6, 1941, the Wermacht troops occupied Chortkiv. A pogrom started by local Ukrainians claimed the lives of 300 Jews. In April 1942, a ghetto was founded. A labour camp operated in the town. In June and September 1943, the ghetto and the labour camp were liquidated. On August 27, 1943, around 2,000 Jews were deported to the Belzec death camp. About 100 Jews survived the war.