Bilyy Kamin' Old Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was not marked on old maps. According to locals, it operated until the early 20th century. The Jews are known from 1629. In the late 17th century, the Jewish community became independent. 345 Jews lived in Bilyy Kamin’ in 1765. In 1892–1902, a school for about 100 Jewish students founded with the support from Baron Hirsch. The Jewish population increased to 1,901 (54% of the total population) in 1880 and severely dropped to 298 (15% of the total population) in 1921 after the waves of immigration, a 1902 fire and miseries of WWI. In 1919, a Zionist youth organization was established but soon stopped its activities. In 1927, a Hebrew school was opened. In 1929, a Zionist organization Ha-Tkhiia and a library were founded. In early 1942, 291 Jews resided here. In November 1942, the local Jews were deported to the Zolochev ghetto, where they were murdered in 1943. The monument was installed on the site of the shooting in 2005.