Surveys in Slovakia

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Work in progress.
Results are being updated regularly.

You can also see studies in other countries:

Kupyn Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Kupyn Jewish Cemetery
Kupyn Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Kupyn Jewish Cemetery
Site Address:
To reach the cemetery, proceed on Bohdana Khmel'nyts'koho Street in the north-eastern direction. Cross the Turets'kyy bridge over the Smotrych River. Turn right and proceed for 50 metres. The cemetery is located on the hill on the left of the road.
GPS coordinates:
Perimeter length:
402 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing. The site is surrounded by a ditch and borders with gardens and fields. The northern and southern parts of the cemetery are in agricultural use.
Number of existing gravestones:
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
1819 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of Newest Tombstone:
1925 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Land Ownership:
Municipality/Property of local community
Preserved Construction on Site:
There is an ohel of Rabbi Aharon of Kupyn, a student of Rabbi Pinhas of Korets'.
Mass Graves on Site:
Yes. There is a marked mass grave on the site. A Holocaust memorial was installed by the Chesed-Besht charity foundation.
Drone surveys:

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the early 19th century. First, it was marked as a Jewish cemetery on an old map of 1917. Jews were present in the early 18th century. In 1765, 405 Jews were inhabitants of Kupyn. The first synagogue was built in 1865. The number of synagogues increased to three in 1889, and a Jewish cemetery was established. Hasidism predominated in the town. The Hovevei Zion and the Bund groups were active from the late 19th century. In 1897, the Jewish population increased to 1,351 (96,5% of the total) and decreased to 670 in 1923. The Jews were engaged in petty trade and crafts, such as pottery and brick production. In 1917, the Zionist organizations Hovevei Zion and Gehalutz were active. In March 1919, a pogrom was staged by the Red Army troops. In 1925, 35 Jewish families of Kupyn (96 people) were registered to move to the Kherson region. In the 1920s, a Yiddish school functioned. In the 1920s, a Jewish kolkhoz was established. In 1927, a mikvah was closed. The Zionist activity was restricted by the Soviet authority. In July 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Kupyn, and a ghetto was established. In October 1941, 300 Jews were murdered by Ukrainian collaborationist police units. They were buried in a mass grave at the Jewish cemetery. About 500 Jewish residents were executed in late 1942.