Surveys in Slovakia

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Work in progress.
Results are being updated regularly.

You can also see studies in other countries:

Dunaivtsi New Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Dunaivtsi New Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Dunaivtsi New Jewish Cemetery

Site Address:
The cemetery is located opposite to the house at 28, Shlyakhova Street.
GPS coordinates:
Perimeter length:
744 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
Type and height of existing fence:
Type of the fence. The front side is fenced by an old stone wall of one-metre height with metal gates.
General Site Condition:
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is divided into the new and old parts. The new part is severely overgrown. The old part is well-maintained. Most of the preserved tombstones are located on the central part of the cemetery. The land is used for cattle grazing and private gardening. The part of the land was illegally captured by a local resident, Victor Havrylovych Pidhurs'kyy. The western part of the cemetery site is used for private gardening. The site requires clearing and fencing.
Number of existing gravestones:
Date of Oldest Tombstone:
Date of Newest Tombstone:
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Land Ownership:
Municipality/Property of local community
Preserved Construction on Site:
Presumably, there is an abandoned ohel with a built-in memorial plate on its wall. The ohel is dedicated to Rabbi David Leib (died in 1909). There are two memorials with nameplates dedicated to the Jewish cemetery of Dunaivtsi, constructed by Ohalei Tzadikim — Gader Avot union.
Mass Graves on Site:
Yes. There is a marked mass grave on the site.
Specific Threats:
The cemetery is under the threats of site occupation and agricultural use.
Drone surveys:

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. In 1871–72, the Jewish community purchased a land plot for the Jewish cemetery. The oldest gravestone relates to the mid-19th century, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. It appears on old maps from 1879. The cemetery is still operational. Jews are known from the 17th century. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the Jews were engaged in trade, rent and crafts, such as weaving shoemaking, painting, etc. The Jewish community of Dunayivtsi was destroyed twice. First, in 1648-49, during the Khmelnytskyi massacre and, later, in the 1760s, during the Haidamak rebellions. In 1748, the Jews of Dunayivtsi suffered a blood libel accusation. In 1765, 1,129 Jews lived in Dunayivtsi. The Jewish community of Dunayivtsi consisted of 2,020 people and maintained two synagogues in 1847. In 1890, the number of synagogues increased to eleven. By the same time, a Jewish hospital, Talmud-Torah and heders were in function. A Jewish vocational school for girls (in 1903) and boys (in 1907) were opened. Two printing houses operated in 1906. The Jewish population reached a peak of 9,221 (70,7% of the total population) in 1910. In the 1920s, secret Zionist youth organizations and a Hehalutz group functioned. In 1926, the Jewish population reduced to 5,186 (60,5% of the total), presumably, due to the migration of over 200 Jewish families to an agricultural cooperative in Crimea. In 1933, 362 Jews were employed in the Jewish kolkhoz. In 1932–33, the Jewish population suffered from hunger. In 1939, 4,478 Jews (68,2% of the total population) were the residents of the town. During the Wehrmacht occupation in 1941, the Jews of Dunayivtsi and the neighbouring villages were imprisoned in a ghetto. Over 7,000 Jews were executed or buried alive in the area of ​​the Solonich forest. Approximately 12,000 Jews were murdered in the town during WWII. Few Jewish families returned after WWII. In 1948, a secret minyan was gathering. In the 1970s and 80s, Jews of Dunayivtsi left for Israel and the US.