Work in progress.
Results are being updated regularly.
You can also see studies in other countries:
Kupyn Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the early 19th century. First, it was marked as a Jewish cemetery on an old map of 1917. Jews were present in the early 18th century. In 1765, 405 Jews were inhabitants of Kupyn. The first synagogue was built in 1865. The number of synagogues increased to three in 1889, and a Jewish cemetery was established. Hasidism predominated in the town. The Hovevei Zion and the Bund groups were active from the late 19th century. In 1897, the Jewish population increased to 1,351 (96,5% of the total) and decreased to 670 in 1923. The Jews were engaged in petty trade and crafts, such as pottery and brick production. In 1917, the Zionist organizations Hovevei Zion and Gehalutz were active. In March 1919, a pogrom was staged by the Red Army troops. In 1925, 35 Jewish families of Kupyn (96 people) were registered to move to the Kherson region. In the 1920s, a Yiddish school functioned. In the 1920s, a Jewish kolkhoz was established. In 1927, a mikvah was closed. The Zionist activity was restricted by the Soviet authority. In July 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Kupyn, and a ghetto was established. In October 1941, 300 Jews were murdered by Ukrainian collaborationist police units. They were buried in a mass grave at the Jewish cemetery. About 500 Jewish residents were executed in late 1942.