Surveys in Greece

ESJF 2019/20 surveys in five European countries

Ivano-Frankove Jewish Cemetery

Drone survey :
Ivano-Frankove Jewish Cemetery
Historical map and perimeter :
Ivano-Frankove Jewish Cemetery

Country:
Ukraine
Region:
Lviv
District:
Yavoriv
Settlement:
Ivano-Frankove
Site Address:
The cemetery was located on the site between today’s Lepekhivs'ka, Sadova and Doroshenka Streets.
GPS coordinates:
49.92369,23.73126
Perimeter length:
290 metres
Is the cemetery demolished:
Yes
Type and height of existing fence:
No fence
General Site Condition:
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery. Private houses were built over the eastern and western sides of the cemetery site. Its central part is used for private gardening.
Number of existing gravestones:
No tombstones preserved
Urgency of erecting a fence:
Fence is not needed (overbuilt)
Land Ownership:
Private
Drone surveys:
Yes

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it appears on maps of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the 1860s and 1880s. It was also marked on maps of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG) of 1939. According to locals, the cemetery was demolished during the Soviet era. Jews settled in 1614. The Jewish population of the locality was nearly annihilated during the Khmelnytsky massacres of 1648-49. In the 17th-18th century, the Jews were engaged in trade and leasing. The independent Jewish community emerged in the late 18th century. The Jewish population reached 968 (53.2% of the total population) in 1880. In the late 19th century, the largest meadery in Galicia owned by Itzhak Blat was functioning. In 1876, Yosef-Yitzhak Katz fulfilled the duties of a rabbi in the town, and he was replaced by Menachem Margulius in 1910. The Belz Hasidism predominated. In 1910, the Jewish population reached a peak of 1,117 (43% of the total population). In 1901, the Zionist organization Ahavat Yisrael was established. The Jewish population reduced to 490 (27.1% of the total population) in 1921. The Wehrmacht troops occupied Ivano-Frankove on June 28, 1941. A ghetto was established in summer 1942 and liquidated in November 1942. Some young Jews had survived by escaping to the forests.