Zychlin Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Żychlin is located about 600 metres east of the town centre, 90 metres north of Łukasińskiego Street, and covers a square plot of land, with an area of approximately 1.46 hectares. The cemetery was likely established in the mid-18th century at the same time the kehilla (organized Jewish community) was established. In 1929, in the official List of Cemeteries, the following was stated in the case of the Żychlin Jewish cemetery: “fenced, in good condition”. During World War II, the cemetery was used for carrying out executions. In March 1942, about 160 Jews were shot there, and,another 200 forced labourers were murdered there in the fall of 1942. The cemetery fell into disrepair during the war. The Germans used some matzevot for construction work in the city. Local residents in Żychlin also stole tombstones. The cemetery was then used as a pasture.
On September 25, 1965, the Presidium of the Municipal National Council in Żychlin adopted a resolution to close the cemetery. The ordinance was signed by the Minister of Municipal Economy on March 22, 1966. In 1992, thanks to the efforts of Mosze Zyslender, lapidaries with parts of recovered tombstones were built and a monument was unveiled on the grave of the Holocaust victims. A few years ago, at the initiative of Izrael Meir Gabaj, a tombstone was erected to commemorate tzadik Szmuel Aba from Żychlin, who died in 1879. The cemetery is surrounded by a metal mesh fence with an iron gate. The entrance is not closed. Litter and dense vegetation (including blackthorns) make it difficult to move around the cemetery. The owner of the cemetery is the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage.
The first records of Jews in Żychlin date to the beginning of the 18th century. In 1921, 2,701 Jews lived in the town (39.5% of the population), most of whom were killed in 1942 by the Germans in Chełmno near the Ner River.