Zoziv Jewish Cemetery
According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the first half of the 19th century. The last buried dates to 1941. It can be found marked on a map of the region from the 1900s.
Zoziv was first mentioned in 1518. From 1569 the region belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1765, 9 Jews were present in Zoziv. In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Kiev Governorate (Kievskaya Gubernia). In 1847, the Jewish community of Zoziv numbered 267. In 1897, the Jewish population of Zoziv was 414, which was 11% of the town’s total population of 3732. The community had a stone synagogue and likely a beit midrash. After 1922, Zoziv became a part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. The Jewish population dropped to 298 in 1923, and to 225 in 1926.
In 1941, many Jews fled to the East but some remained behind. The few Jews who had not been able to escape prior to the German occupation were likely murdered in spring 1942 along with the rest of the Jews of the area.
In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Zoziv became a part of the independent Ukraine.
The Jewish cemetery is located at the north-western outskirts; the plot with the few remaining matzevot was fenced by ESJF in 2019.