Zhuravno Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it was marked on a map of 1848. It can be supposed that it was partly demolished after WWII.
The Jewish community of Zhuravno was established in the 18th century. In 1765, 566 Jews lived in the town. From that time, Rabbi Moshe-Shaul (died in 1759) fulfilled the duties of the rabbi. The Jews of Zhuravno were involved in bartending, loaning and trade. In 1908, a Heder Metukan was opened by Rabbi Pinchas Horowitz. By 1910, four synagogues and a Jewish cemetery existed. The Jewish population reached a peak of 2197 (69% of the total population) in 1880, but it was reducing year by year until it dropped to 865 (44.9% of the total population) in 1921. Around 1000 Jews resided in Zhuravno in 1931. The Wehrmacht troops occupied the town on July 3, 1941. On September 5, 1942, a few hundreds of Jews were deported to the Belzec extermination camp. In September 1942, a ghetto was established. From February 4, 1943, till June 5, 1943, sporadical murders of the Jewish population of Zhuravno happened.