Zhnyatyno Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Zhnyatyno was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1832. The cemetery was used after WWII, and the latest preserved gravestone dates to 1966.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Zhnyatyno in the late 18th century. In 1880, there were 127 Jews living in the town. In 1910, the Jewish population had decreased to 113. By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population numbered 78. Jews were engaged in agriculture and commerce. In 1930, the town’s Jewish population numbered 57 individuals. Hungarian forces arrived in Zhnyatyno in March 1939, with the consequence that the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. There were 84 Jews living in Zhnyatyno in 1941. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. Some Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Zhnyatyno were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.