Zelenopil Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given that the oldest preserved tombstone dates to the pre-war period, it can be gathered the cemetery was founded in that era. It cannot be found marked on old maps of the region.
Jewish Colony Number 12 in Zelenopil’ (Ukr. Зеленопіль, Rus. Зеленополь) was founded by Jews from the Vilno and Vitebsk Governorates. The popular nickname Miadler (Yid. מיאַדלער) is derived from Miadel, a town in present-day Belarus. In 1897, 658 Jews lived in the colony (90% of the total population). The community maintained a synagogue and a school. During the Civil War of 1918–21, the colony survived several pogroms. The Soviet authorities created a collective farm named Emes in 1929. Zelenopil’ was the seat of a village council that united four Jewish colonies in the area. The Germans arrived in October 1941, and the 73 Jews who remained in Zelenopil’ were murdered in December 1941. Jews lived Zelenopil’ after World War II.
It is not known when exactly the cemetery was founded.