Zastavna Jewish Cemetery
In 1870, a Jewish cemetery of Zastavna was established. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII. Later it was demolished and built over. There is a memorial on the site made out of gravestones from the cemetery, erected in 1993.
Jews first settled in the early 18th century. In 1774, 17 Jews lived in the Zastavna. By 1808, 100 Jews were inhabitants of Zastavna. In the second half of the 19th century, three synagogues, a mikvah and Talmud-Torah were in operation. The Jews of Zastavna owned two mills. The main engagements of the Jews were grain and petty trade. The Jews assumed the position of the mayor and other official positions. The Zionist movement started in the early 20th century when the Teodor Herzel organisation was established. A Jewish school opened in 1909. Non- Jewish children attended it as well. In 1910, the Jewish population stood at 418. During the WWI, the Jews fled to Austria. A Hebrew school was established in 1918. The branches of different Jewish organizations (such as WIZO and Beitar) were active in the interwar period. In 1930, 629 Jews resided in the town (12,3% of the total population). The German-Romanian troops occupied Zastavna in June 1941. The Jews of Zastavna and other adjoining villages were imprisoned in the ghetto and deported to Transnistria in October 1941. Around 40 survived Jews returned to the town after WWII, but later immigrated to Eretz Israel. In the 1960s, some Jewish families from the east of Ukraine resided here.