Zarnowiec New Jewish Cemetery
The New Jewish Cemetery in Żarnowiec is located in the south-eastern part of the village, about 2.7 km from the village centre, in a grove, next to the ruins of the building of the “Kłos” Agricultural Production Cooperative. The cemetery’s exact establishment date is unknown, though it was most likely established in the 19th century. It was in use until World War II. Since the cemetery has suffered significant damage, only single tombstones (mainly their bases) and fragments of matzevot remain. There is also the post-war tomb of Rabbi Ruwen ha-Lewi Horowic in the cemetery (a son of Rabbi Jakow Chaim, grandson of Rabbi from Tykocin, dayan, author of the book “Dudaim BaSade”, student of Elimelech from Leżajsk and the Seer of Lublin), which was probably erected on the site of the previously destroyed ohel.
Żarnowiec was founded under Magdeburg Law between 1326 and 1340. Its foundation status was downgraded in 1870 and it is now a village. The first records of Jewish settlement in Żarnowiec date to the 17th century. An independent Jewish community likely already existed by the 18th century. 386 Jews lived in the town 1791, 1,412 in 1897 (57% of the total population), and 946 in 1921 (44.5%). In 1938, 574 Jews lived in Żarnowiec. During World War II, in February 1941, the Germans sent all Jews from Żarnowiec to the Żarki Ghetto.