Zamosc New Jewish Cemetery
Jews first settled in Zamość in the 16th century. The first wooden synagogue was built in 1590 (according to other sources — in 1603). In the 17th century, there were two Jewish communes in the town: the Sephardi community and the Ashkenazi community. People associated with Zamość were, among others, Izrael Segal ben Mosze (a Talmudist, pioneer of the Haskalah movement, astronomer), Icchak Lejb Perec (a noted author and playwright), and Rosa Luxemburg (a labour movement activist). During World War II, there was a transit ghetto in Zamość. Almost all the people imprisoned there were murdered in 1942 in the Bełżec and Sobibór concentration camps. When the hostilities on the Eastern Front ended, around 200 Jews returned to the city, and the Jewish Committee was established. In the following months, most of the survivors left Zamość.
The cemetery served as a burial place until World War II. In 1942, people murdered during the so-called liquidation of the ghetto were buried in mass graves.
The cemetery was demolished during the war and the following decades. The fence and almost all the tombstones have been dismantled. The cemetery has since served as an arable field and space for allotment gardens. The funeral home refurbished into a residential building is the only thing that remains of the former cemetery.
In 1950, thanks to the efforts of the Zamość Jews, a monument commemorating the victims of the Holocaust was erected on the edge of the cemetery. It was built with discovered tombstones.
Around 1969, Bohaterów Monte Cassino Street was paved through the cemetery, and part of the site was taken over by the “Cora” Clothing Factory. In 2000, a wall was built behind the monument. Fragments of discovered tombstones were built into it. In 2017, the city authorities paved K. Namysłowskiego Street through the cemetery. During construction, the graves were dug up.
The cemetery is not fenced and its boundaries are unclear. It is not listed in the Register of Historic Monuments. It is owned by the State Treasury and managed by the city of Zamość.