Zakharivka Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery already existed in 1851, as evident from tombstone dating. It is marked as Jewish on a Russian topographic map from 1941. It seems that most of the tombstones from the old part of the cemetery were removed from the site, probably for construction purposes. The cemetery has a post-WWII part, which was used until 1982.
The first evidence of Jewish community in Zakharivka is the oldest tombstone on the Jewish cemetery from 1851. In 1897, the Jewish population numbered 1,732 (48% of the total population). The majority of local Jews were active in agriculture. In the 1920s, a Jewish colony was founded, named Frunzovka after 1927. Around this time, there were 25 Jewish families from Rashkiv and several local families living in the area. A Jewish elementary school was opened. In 1939, the Jewish population numbered 520. On August 3, 1941, Nazi troops occupied the village. 56 Jews were murdered on October 4, 1941. Among the total of 97 people who are known to have been executed in Zakharivka during WWII, it is presumed that all were Jewish. According to the tombstone inscriptions, there was a Jewish population in Zakharivka after WWII at least until the 1980s.