Yemilchyne Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zhytomyr
District
Yemilchinsky
Settlement
Yemilchyne
Site address
From No.19 Leysa Ukrainka street, drive 430m east and then take a right turn. Take another right turn after 40m and then the cemetery will be 100m past that corner
GPS coordinates
50.88052, 27.77664
Perimeter length
611 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is not fenced, there is a moat on the site.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well-maintained. It is located in a pinewood, as such it requires clearing of fallen leaves and branches.
Number of existing gravestones
There are around 200 gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1921 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2012 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. However given that the oldest preservedd tombstone found dates to 1921, it can be assumed that it was established no later than the first half of the 20th century. It is marked on maps from the 1890s-1910s.

Jews began to settle in Yemilchyne (Ukr. Ємільчине, Rus. Емильчино, until 1944 – Emilchin, Ukr. Емільчин, Rus. Эмильчин, Yid. מילטשין) in the early 19th century. In 1897, the Jewish population was 1,049 people, which was 42% of the total population. During the Civil War of 1918–21, the Jewish community suffered from pogroms, looting, and epidemics. A Jewish elementary school operated in the Soviet period. There were 1,115 Jews in Yemilchyne in 1939. After the German invasion of the USSR, the majority of the Jews who had not fled were murdered in August and September 1941. According to the 2001 census, the Jewish population of Yemilchyne was 11.
It is not known when the cemetery was founded. It is marked on maps from around 1900. The earliest tombstone dates back to 1921.