Yavoriv New Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery was established in the 1840s. It was marked on maps from the 19th century and 1939. It can be supposed that it was demolished after WWII and later built over. Jews were present in Yavoriv from 1548. In 1578, the Jews received the right to establish a synagogue and a cemetery. In 1629, there was a Jewish quarter in the city. The Jewish community became independent in the late 17th century. In the late 18th and 19th centuries, Jews were mostly employed in tailoring and paintwork, and owned some manufacturing plants. By 1765, 639 Jews, all Hasidic, were living in Yavoriv. The Jewish population had reached 2,846 (28% of the total population) by 1900. Since 1902, a Zionist organisation was functioning but was not very influential in the pre-war period. In 1905, a new synagogue was constructed to replace the old wooden one. During WWI, the Jews suffered at the hands of Russian soldiers. The Jewish population decreased to 2,405 (27% of the total population) by 1921. Many Zionist organisations and branches, including “Tzairi Zion” and “Mizrachi Olam,” among others, were active in the interwar period. The Jewish population reached 2,959 in 1931. Around 3,000 Jewish refugees arrived here from Poland in 1939-40, many of whom were expelled to the other territories of USSR. The town was occupied by the Nazis troops on June 26, 1941. There were a series of actions in 1942, when around 1,800 Jews were deported to Yavoriv camp and to the extermination camp Belzec, 500 were murdered directly in Yavoriv, and a ghetto was created in the late November. Nearly 7,000 Jews from the surrounding villages were interned there. It was liquidated on April 16, 1943. During the liquidation, 3,500 Jews were executed. In 1990, the monument honouring the Holocaust was erected in Yavoriv.