Wolborz Jewish Cemetery
Wolbórz was granted town rights in 1273. Until the 18th century, owing to the De Non-Tolerandis Iudaeis privilege, Jews settled in the neighbouring village of Wesoła. In 1808, a year after the privilege was abolished, 39 Jews lived in Wolbórz, constituting 5% of the total population. In the 1830’s, the Hasidic Tzadik, Rabbi Issachar Dow Ber ha-Kohen Tornheim settled in the town and established his court. There was an orchestra and choir in the town. In 1862, a Jewish community (kehilla) was established, and Issachar Dow Ber ha-Kohen Tornheim became a rabbi. 437 Jews lived in the town in 1897 (26% of the total population), and 443 in 1921 (20% of the total population). During World War II, in October 1942, the Germans deported over 400 people to the Piotrków Trybunalski Ghetto, and then to the extermination camp in Treblinka. Only 20 Jews from Wolbórz survived the war.
The cemetery is located in a forest about 2 km southeast of the town centre, in a place called Gadki. It covers an area of approximately 0.4 hectares. The cemetery was likely established in 1862 when the independent Jewish community in Wolbórz was founded. During World War II, the cemetery was significantly damaged, and continued to fall into disrepair in the post-war years. Tombstones and fragments of the wall were used for—among other things—construction material. The last matzevot were removed from the cemetery in the 1980’s. Only the outline of the demolished wall surrounding the cemetery has survived. The area of the cemetery is covered with vegetation, and it is not marked or commemorated.