Vrbanja Jewish Cemetery
The Vrbanja Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century. It was abandoned after World War II and only few tombstones can be found in the cemetery today. The oldest grave dates to 1907.
Vrbanja is a village and municipality in Vukovar-Srijem County. The first recorded mention of the village was as “Possesio Werbanya” in 1443. From 1746, the bordering region was under the administration of the Austrian army until 1873. There were 262 houses in the village in 1829. At the end of the 19th century, Croatian, German, and Hungarian families settled in Vrbanja. The population of the village increased to 2,691 inhabitants in 1910.
The local economy was based in agriculture and animal husbandry. The Jewish community supposedly existed in Vrbanja from the end of the 19th century. Nothing else is known about the history of the community. The Jewish cemetery existed there in the 19th century. It was abandoned after the WWII and only few tombstones are found now in the cemetery. The oldest grave dates to 1907.