Voznesensk New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Mykolayiv
District
Voznesensk
Settlement
Voznesensk
Site address
100 A, Sobornosti Street.
GPS coordinates
47.57779, 31.32454
Perimeter length
386 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a concrete fence from the northern side, and by a one metre high brick fence on its other sides. There is a metal gate, decorated with stars of David, on the cemetery's southern side.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is in good condition and cared for by the local Jewish community.
Number of existing gravestones
Around 600. The cemetery includes a ruined old area with less than 10 preserved gravestones, which are mostly broken or lacking inscriptions, as well as a large post-WWII part, which is operational today.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
2018
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
There is a caretaker's house located on the cemetery site, presumably built in 1966. The cemetery also houses the tsiyun of R. Pinhas Rabinovich of Kantikuzva, son of Yitzhak Yoel of Kantikuzva-Linitz (died 1922). The tziyun was installed by the organisation "Ohaley Tzaddikim". The tziyun includes the note that "This burial was brought from the old Jewish cemetery to a new one during communism", although the authenticity of this statement is doubtful.
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The history of the New Jewish cemetery of Voznesens’k is unclear. Presumably, it already existed in early 20th century. The IAJGS database refers to a gravestone that dates to 1918, but the ESJF expedition was unable to locate it. The old part of the cemetery contains some pre-war tombstones, including one from 1937. However, it is still possible that pre-war gravestones were brought from the Voznesens’k Old cemetery, which was destroyed during WWII. Today, the cemetery is cared for by the local community. About six months ago, vandals moved ten tombstones from their original places, but they have been restored today.

Jews supposedly began to settle in Voznesens’k after the Russian-Turkish wars, in late 18th until the early 19th century. In 1863, 778 Jews were living in Voznesens’k. In 1863, a synagogue was operating. The Jewish population had reached 5,932 (38% of the total population) in 1897. In 1909, two government schools for boys and girls, as well as a Talmud Tora were functioning. Seven synagogues were operating in the city in 1910. In 1925, seven Jewish families from Voznesens’k founded the Jewish farming society in the region of Kherson. The Jewish population numbered 6,177 in 1920, but decreased to 2,843 in 1939. Nazi troops occupied Voznesens’k on August 6, 1941. During the period of occupation, 3,174 people from the region were executed, most of whom were Jewish. There was a Jewish population in Voznesens’k after WWII. Today, the Jewish community of the town numbers 48 people.

View 3D model