Vovkovyntsi New Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is not determined. It was not marked on old maps. According to testimonies of locals and the dates on the preserved gravestones, it can be assumed that the cemetery was established after WWII. The earliest records of the Jewish life in Vovkovyntsi relate to 1737. In 1784, 98 Jews were inhabitants of Vovkovyntsi. In 1847, 583 Jews resided in the town. By 1897, the Jewish population reached a peak of 1,168 (56% of the total). In the 19th century, Jews were engaged in crafts. The local Jews owned three mills. Three synagogues operated in the late 19th century. In 1923, the Jewish population reduced to 965, and by 1939, this figure dropped to 764. The German troops occupied the town on July 17, 1941. 396 Jews were executed at the Jewish cemetery in 1941-43. 280 Jews from Vovkovyntsi were deported to Derazhnya, where they were murdered in September 1942.