Voroshylivka Jewish Cemetery
Given the earliest preserved tombstone is dated 1904, it can be inferred it was already in use by the early 20th century. It can be found marked on a Russian map from the 1900s.
The town of Voroshylivka was mentioned for the first time in 1552. From 1569 the region belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Jews first settled ther in the late 17th century and numbered 116 in 1765, in the town and 146 in surroundings and in 1787, there were 189 and 263 respectively.
In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia). In 1847, the Jewish community of Voroshylivka numbered 988 members. A wooden synagogue had existed since the 17th century and a stone synagogue was erected in the mid-19th century. In 1897, the Jewish population was 1592, which was roughly half of the town’s population of 3180.
After 1922, Voroshylivka became a part of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. The Jewish population had dropped to 1079 in 1926. A Jewish elementary school was still operating in the early 1930s.
The Germans captured the town in mid-July 1941, immediately murdering the Jews who had not fled. Voroshylivka was annexed by Transnistria in the early fall, and a ghetto and Judenrat were established. Hundreds of Jews from Mohiliv and its environs were brought there in 1942. Around half died; the rest were sent back in fall 1942. Hundreds more arrived from Bessarabia and Bukovina, of which only 278 Jews were still there on 1 September 1943.
In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Voroshylivka became a part of the independent Ukraine.
The Jewish cemetery of Voroshylivka is situated at the southern outskirts. It contains around 300 gravestones dating back to the 20th century.