Voronovytsya New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Vinnytsia
District
Vinnytsia
Settlement
Voronovytsya
Site address
The cemetery is located opposite the house on 85 Podilska Street.
GPS coordinates
49.1105, 28.69041
Perimeter length
265 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a 1.5 metre tall concrete fence, installed by ESJF in 2019.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
There is a gate which is kept unlocked. The southwestern section of the cemetery is overgrown and requires cleaning
Number of existing gravestones
Approximately 20.
Date of oldest tombstone
1936 (the oldest found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2019 (the latest found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
State
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

According to IAJGS, the Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century and the final burial took place in 1996.

The town of Voronovytsya was first mentioned in 1391 when it had 110 settlers.
From 1569 the region belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Jews started to settle in Voronovytsya in the early 18th century. Due to attacks by the Haidamaks in the second half of the century the Jewish population of Voronovytsya declined.
In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia). In 1847, the Jewish community of Voronovytsya numbered 1036. In 1897, 1411 Jews comprised almost a half of the town’s 3013 population. At that period Voronovytsya had a synagogue and 2 prayer houses. Most of Voronovytsya’s Jews were merchants or artisans.
The Jewish population of Voronovytsya suffered greatly during World War I and the civil war in Russia. In 1919, a pogrom claimed a number of victims.
After 1922, Voronovytsya became a part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In the 1920s there was a three-year Yiddish school in Voronovytsya. In 1926 the Jewish population was 1418. After the Soviet authorities imposed a ban on private trade, many of Voronovytsya’s Jews were compelled to seek new occupations. A number of Jews found employment in the sugar and textile factories in or near the town or in agriculture.In the 1930s, when the town suffered from famine (Holodomor), nearly 300 Jews died. Many Jews, especially the younger ones, left Voronovytsya for larger towns, in search of sustenance and also of educational and vocational opportunities.
In 1939 Voronovytsya’s 860 Jews comprised 23% of the total population.
Between July 21, 1941 and March 13, 1943 Voronovytsya was occupied by the Germans. A labor camp was established here. By mid 1942 all local Jews in the camp perished in Aktions and of inhumane living conditions; Jews from various Transnistrian ghettos were brought there, most of whom perished as well.
In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Voronovytsya became a part of the independent Ukraine. In 2014 only a few Jews still lived in Voronovytsya.
The new Jewish cemetery of Voronovytsya, established in the 19th century, today contains a few dozen gravestones and is in use.

View 3D model