Viazivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zhytomyr
District
Narodichi
Settlement
Viazivka
Site address
The cemetery is located 450m west of No.11 Ovruzka Street, on the right hand side.
GPS coordinates
51.15926, 28.86802
Perimeter length
226 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is unfenced, in places a moat is visible.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is covered with seasonal vegetation. There is one mass grave. The territory is small, only tombstones were found.
Number of existing gravestones
3
Date of oldest tombstone
1929 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1945 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery establishment is unknown. It emerged no later than the first half of the 20th century, as the oldest preserved tombstone dates to 1929. It is marked on a map from the 1900’s.

The Jewish community in Viazivka (Ukr. В’язівка, Rus. Вязовка, Yid. וויאַזאָווקע) emerged in the 19th century. There were about 300 Jews, which was 30% of the total population, in Viazivka in 1870. As of 1885, the community maintained a synagogue and a prayer house. The Jewish population had declined to 239 in 1897 and to 165 in 1926. A Zionist group (HeHalutz) operated in 1924. In 1941, the Germans murdered the few Jews who had not managed to evacuate.
It is not known precisely when the cemetery was founded. It is marked on maps from around 1900. The earliest identifiable date on a tombstone is 1929. It is not known when or why the monument to Soviet soldiers was placed in the cemetery.

 

View 3D model