Verenchanka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Chernivtsi
District
Zastavna
Settlement
Verenchanka
Site address
Verenchanka Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
48.54888, 25.73638
Perimeter length
32 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Jewish section
General site condition
Jewish section within municipal cemetery. The site is well-maintained.
Number of existing gravestones
4
Date of oldest tombstone
1915
Date of newest tombstone
1930
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data, the cemetery was operating in the early 20th century. It can be supposed that it was demolished after WWII and the municipal cemetery was established on the site.

The Jewish community existed in Verenchanka from the mid-16th century. In the early 20th century, around 100 Jews were residents of Verenchanka. The immigrants from Moldova and Galicia were the core of the community. The Jews were mainly engaged in agriculture, trade and crafts. In 1909, the Bnei Zion movement was established. In the 1930s, the Jews of the Verenchanka took an active part in the Jewish life of Bukovina. During the German-Romanian occupation, the Jews of Verenchanka were deported to the Chernivtsi ghetto and the camps of Transnistria, where they shared the fate of the other Jews.