Velykyy Zhvanchyk Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. But since it appears on Russian and Polish maps of the beginning of the 20th century, it can be assumed that the cemetery already existed during that period. According to the 1995 IAJGS expedition, the oldest preserved gravestone relates to the mid 19th century, but it was not detected by ESJF surveyors team in 2019.
There is no much information about Jewish life in Velykyy Zhvanchyk. The earliest mentions about the Jews relate to the 18th century. In 1765, 22 Jews were inhabitants of the village. In 1889, a synagogue operated. In 1895, Abram-Pinkhas Berman (born in 1855) became a rabbi of the community. In 1897, the Jewish population had reached 683 people (22,3% of the total). In 1923, during the Soviet period, 558 Jews resided. In July 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied the village. On September 1, 1941, 1,224 Jews from Velykyy Zhvanchyk and neighbouring villages were executed in the Sokoletz forest.