Velyka Znamyanka Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage (KSEN), after the construction of the reservoir in the 1950s, some ashes and matzevot were transferred by relatives to the city of Nikopol (Dniepropetrovs’k region). Several surviving matzevot were found in the water near the coast at a decent depth. It is marked on maps from the 19th century.
The village of Velyka Znamyanka had a Jewish prayer house as of 1885. The Jewish population stood at 205 (1% of the total population) in 1910, but dropped to 21 in 1939. During the German occupation, 9 Jews were murdered at the beginning of 1942.
The cemetery was submerged in water when the Kakhovka Reservoir was created in 1956, thus its location cannot be established with total certainty. It is not known when exactly the cemetery was founded. The Encyclopedia of Russian Jewry mentions that it already existed in 1910. According to the 1994–95 survey of the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), some of the remains and the tombstones were transferred to Nikopol.